Border procedures

South African and Mozambican citizens do not need visas when visiting either country. All other passport holders require visas unless stipulated to the contrary in your country. Mozambican Visas can be obtained at border at a cost of approximately $110 or €80.

Car papers indicating the registration number, engine number and chassis number are required. Should the vehicle not be registered in your name, a letter from the owner is required giving you permission to take the vehicle across the border. If you are still paying off the vehicle, a letter is required from both your insurance company as well as the financial institution allowing you to take the vehicle across the border. Rental vehicles can cross the border; however, the necessary documents must be on hand, including written permission from the rental company. If you are towing a boat or trailer, registration papers are also required for these.

A South African driver’s license is valid in all the SADC states. Mozambican driver’s licenses are also valid in South Africa. Other passport holders do require an international driver’s license.

Giriyondo border gate is a tourist border gate and is not open for commercial traffic.

The Giriyondo Border procedure is as follows when entering from South Africa:

SA Immigrations office: Passport to be stamped out of South Africa. Should Foreigners be planning to return to South Africa then they should ensure that their South African visa is acceptable (eg wont expire). As a guideline passports should have at least 6 months validity remaining and have at least 2 open pages.
KNP office: Provide your KNP Entry ticket and Sign the KNP exit register.
SA Police office: Complete your vehicle Temporary Exportation paperworkavailable from the SA Immigrations office. Drive your vehicle to the
Police inspection office and produce your vehicle/trailer documents and
have your vehicle inspected and Temporary Exportation documentation signed and stamped. If you are traveling with (new looking) expensive equipment (eg computers) that you will return back into South Africa with it may be prudent to complete a DA65 – Temporary Exportation documentation for this equipment as well.
Proceed to Mozambique

Moz Immigrations office (Blue uniform): Complete the Customs document and hand in together with your passport. Obtain your visa for upto 30 days from Customs (no charge for South Africans but a cost of approximately $108 or €77 applies for other foreigners) and your Entry stamp in your Passport.
Moz Customs Office (Blue uniform): Produce your vehicle papers and stamped South African Vehicle Temporary Exportation document. Obtain your signed and stamped Mozambique Temporary Importation papers. The Customs official may wish to inspect your vehicle to check vehicle documentation and to ensure no no importation into Mozambique outside of regulations.
Moz Border Police (Dark Green uniform): If requested they will request to verify your passport and entry stamp.
PNL Office (Brown or Light green uniform): Pay your Park entry fees at the PNL office and purchase your vehicle 3rd Party Insurance.
When returning the procedure is followed in reverse with exit stamps being obtained in passports and vehicle/trailer/equipment documentation being handed in.

Always be respectful, polite and courteous and you will receive the same treatment in return.

Tourists’ Allowances:

Tobacco products: 200 cigarettes OR 100 cigarillos OR 50 cigars OR 250 grams of smoking tobacco *
Alcoholic drinks: 1 litre of spirits AND 2.25 litres of wine *
Perfumes: 50 ml perfumes OR 250 ml of toilet water
Pharmaceutical Products: Quantity considered reasonable for consumption
Other foods: Up to a value of 5,000 Mt (est R1,500) or equivalent per person per 30 days. **
* These allowances do not apply to persons under the age of 18 years

** If inspected and you exceed the 5,000Mt limit an official tax rate of
46% is used to tax any foodstuff. You should prove the value of the goods
bought by showing the receipts (till slip). If you do not have any receipts the
custom officials will estimate the value of the goods and you will be taxed

Prohibited or restricted items: includes narcotic drugs, firearms, weapons, pornographic material and counterfeit goods.